I love movies, books, and tv shows about witches. They are inaccurate, over the top, hyperbolic, and totally my preferred entertainment. Here is a list of 5 of my favorite fictional witches:
1. Granny Weatherwax – Terry Pratchett wrote his non leader of the witches in discworld to be a complex, nuanced, no nonsense woman and I hope I can have half her moxie when I grow up.
2. Willow Rosenberg – Yes, she went evil for a bit and yes, she is a little out of control, but I loved her for so many seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer before that, so…
3. The various Owens sisters – It’s a cheat I know but I love the aunts and the sisters and the aunt’s aunt from the prequel. The Owens women make Practical Magic, well magical. Lol.
4. Nancy Downs – The “crazy” member of the Coven in The Craft. She is the weirdo mister. Probably shouldn’t have invoked the spirit.
5. The Coven – American Horror Story: Coven is still my favorite season and these girls are why. From the dramatic Fiona to the shy Zoe to the strong Queenie I love every one of these witches.
Runners up: The Sanderson Sisters, Mildred Hubble, etc. I love witchy fiction!
Who are your favorite fictional witches? Are there any you just hate? Tell me about it.