I have mentioned previously that I am a certifiable word nerd. So for October
I present my list of fun and unusual words for the Halloween season.
- exsanguinate : verb. Drain (a person, animal, or organ) of blood.
- necrophage : noun. An organism that eats dead or decaying flesh.
- lycanthrope : noun. A werewolf.
- therianthropic : adjective. Combining human and animal form.
- macabre : adjective. Disturbing because concerned with or causing a fear of death.
- revenant : noun. A person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead.
- viscera : plural noun. The internal organs in the main cavities of the body, especially those in the abdomen, e.g. the intestines.
- vivisection : noun. The practice of performing operations on live animals for the purpose of experimentation or scientific research.
- sepulchral : adjective. Relating to tomb or interment. Gloomy; dismal.
- charnel : adjective. Associated with death.
Now you can liberally sprinkle these through your Halloween conversations and appear the smartest and most macabre revenant of them all.