It is Beltane and in honor of the day I am using a Tarot Spread from Llewellyn called the May Queen.
May is a time of fertility and high spirits. By Beltane, the dark time of the year is a distant memory and the possibilities of life seem sweet. Use the May Queen spread to regain or confirm a sense of abundance and safety. If you have a specific question in mind, ask it as you shuffle the cards. Shuffle the cards and place them in positions one through five, as shown.
Position 1: Safety. Emotional security. What you need to feel safe. Where are you secure in yourself? A seemingly negative card describes a situation that needs your focused attention. Work with the energy of that card to produce feelings of safety.
Position 2: Abundance. Feelings of plenty. Abundance may encompass monetary prosperity, but it also describes the emotional breadth of your life that is full and sweet. A challenging card directs you to constricted energy flow; by releasing the block of a challenging card, emotional abundance will follow.
Position 3: Regeneration. Exploring the possibilities. The bold action needed to grow and flourish. A challenging card will show you the block that keeps you from your heart’s desire.
Position 4: Love. Emotions and relationships. All forms of love, from friendship to sexual passion. Only you know your heart. Look at the suit of the card: what does it tell you about your life right now? (Wands = passion or anger; Cups = love or friendship; Swords = loving the intellect, heartache, or painful decisions; Pentacles = sensuality, the body, or the value you place on love; Court Cards = personal characteristics in your relationships; Major Arcana cards = the big picture, karma, or the spiritual aspects of your relationships.)
Position 5: The Future. The present conceivable outcome based on the flow of cards one through four. What story do the cards tell? The lessons to be learned and the potential for growth. How does position three, regeneration, relate to the future?
- Safety: Page of Wands (Reversed) – My place of safety is within my creativity, but I can also use it as a crutch and an excuse. I also have a bad habit of procrastinating which is always pushing the limit of what I am capable of doing. I need to be smart and do my best work and best thinking early when I am at my highest self and most creative.
- Abundance: King of Cups – My abundance lies in my creativity. If I learned nothing else from my mother it was how to make something out of nothing. I need to make the most of this.
- Regeneration: Five of Cups (Reversed) – I need to make the most of new friendships and relationships. And also keep myself open to the return of old relationships. Or, be social, Betsy!
- Love: Four of Pentacles – Per the chart above I feel stable, and somewhat possessive of my love, which is true. I am in love with our love, in all it’s aspects.
- The Future: XX Judgement – I am coming to a time of renewal and new beginnings. It is time for a good hard look at myself, and some decisions about where I am heading. It is time to start a new part of my journey.
It sounds like my future is auspicious. I am working on a Job spell, so hopefully much of the tarot reading is an omen toward that. I hope you have a beautiful Beltane.